Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Am Yisrael Chai...The People of Israel Live

Today we visited Tykocin, a place that was once a shtetl that bloomed with Jewish life. Now they are all gone. Now there are no Jews, only the mass graves into which over a million were shot. 500 years of Jewish life, massacred in 24 hours of horror. These were my thoughts as I sat next to a small plot of land, one of the 3 graves with so many unnamed bodies lying beneath the ground:






I walk down this path
intended for humiliation
intended for dehumanization
intended for death

I walk down this path
their voices echoing
their spirits singing
their souls never truly dying.





Hatikvah
The hope of my people,
my family.
Their bodies may be here
in these pits,
but their hope...
Their hope
will never die.

I am their hope.
I am the future
they lost their humanity for.
I am the future
they lost their lives for.

I am them
and they are me.
One people,
one prayer peace,
one cry for hope,
that will never die.




Am Yisrael chai... the people of Israel live.

No comments:

Post a Comment